Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Promises

Sports.  I don't know about where you live, but here in Colorado there is a sport or two and a team or two for every season.  If I turn on the nightly news, it is sports that cover the hour.  For the past two or so weeks all we have heard about is the Payton and Tebow saga...and it is always top of the news.  I won't even remind you...it's not football season, and we haven't heard one comment about the Rockies. 

I have never been a Bronco's fan, and more likely never will.  I'm not a football fan.  Our family is all about baseball.  Duane and Katie enjoy basketball.  Trading seems to be part of the sports territory, no matter what sport you choose.  As a fan, it is to the point where it makes it hard to get your heart sold out for your "favorite player" before the team sends them on their way for someone new.

Duane and Katie were upset days ago, as their favorite player got traded off the Nuggets.  Duane remained in confussion, as the Nuggets had just paid a hefty price to keep this player for five years ... but now he is gone.  The money is still paid, but the promise of playing on the team is broken.  My baseball team since I was little, traded in a player that won't be able to play because of penalties he has to endure, as part of a consequence to his behavior.  Yet he was brought in a promise to play, and sealed with a salary.  Broncos just took on a favored and well known quarterback for a hefty price of 95,000,000.  The promise is Payton will play and the hope is the Broncos will be in the Superbowl.

It got me thinking about promises.  A team promises to keep a player, and the promises are sealed with a price.  And in spite of the price, promises are broken.   

I thought about God.  Because I play for him.  He has many promises for me, and with me.  I was even sealed with a price ... an ultimate price - His life.  When I break my end of the promise ... his price has still been made.  I also so thankful I won't be traded for someone bigger and better than I will ever be.  God will keep me still.  He sees my worth and my potential.  He sees how much He has invested in me and with His coaching, all the victories we will experience.  I hold onto my promise in Him, and know it will never be broken, for my God will never leave me or forsake me. 

So perhaps we are in an era where promises of jobs are like shifting sand, perhaps our family's promises of get togethers don't stand to be true, perhaps even our promises of friendships come and go ... either way, I will remain confident of this:  "The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made".  (Psalm 145:13b)

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Hi, I love your blog. Thanks for always sharing your heart. God is glorified. Did you get my email I sent you a little while back? Maybe your email addy has changed. Continue to press onward still more sister!