Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Friday, November 1, 2019

In All Circumstances I Will Give Thanks

Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you.  Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work.  Live in peace with each other.  And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.  Make sure that nobody pays wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.  
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt.  Test everything.  Hold on to the good.  Avoid every kind of evil.
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through.  May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming o the Lord Jesus Christ.  The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.
1 Thessalonians 5:28

It was a week ago, as the administrator,  I discovered salary compared to my fellow workers.  Anger came with it.  I felt cheated, used and a big slap in my face.  Face it, my heart for my company, and my role is being taken for granted.  I even had thoughts of reverse discrimination on my heart and lips … as I know the comments that have been made in the past that revealed my boss's heart, and the circumstances my fellow workers face compared to my blessings.  I will confess bitterness, ungratefulness and ugliness filled my being.  And I was ready to give my notice.

It was all justified.

In the midst of this anguish, I have dealt with Duane's job and it's lack of leadership and how it's affecting my husband and his demeanor at home.  The shock of my peace and hope being robbed from me when I heard how after my dad's return home things aren't as they seem and now needs a permanent care facility.  Still finding my fit and purpose at my church and always question if I'm good enough.  And the continued battle of entitled customers who want to fight, intimidate and threaten - all over chicken.

It's been a very hard week.

I've been angry, bitter, hurt, and beaten this week.  Yet we turned the page of the calendar today. And we are now in the month of thanksgiving.  And I can't help but remember "give thanks in all circumstances".  I am reminded too I can change my circumstances with thanksgiving not just over my lips, but in my heart as we arre called.

I'm leading a Bible study about Gideon.  Priscilla Shirer reminds us "God designed your key specifically to fit the lock He has in mind for you.  He uses your weaknesses, the areas and places where you feel the least strong, to open a divine door".  God uses our weaknesses to show how strong He is, and a reminder of WHO He is.

Life is hard.  Life isn't fair.  But this season of Thanksgiving, may in mark a start of a heart of gratitude not for a month but for a lifetime.  And may I see my God in the midst of my circumstances and see not only what I have to be thankful for, but who I have to be thankful to.

I may have "reasons" to quit.  I may have an ungrateful employer.  But like the disciples in the boat, focusing on the storm that they were in the midst of instead of Jesus who was with them I too can shift my eyes off the circumstances and see the God I have to hold onto.  With Him I can find my peace, trust and comfort. I can see my weaknesses - my lack of education, my lack of experience, my financial mistakes, my bad behavior and anger towards everyone this week …. and see I have a God who provides enough, a God who remains faithful and protects, and a God strong enough to carry me through the storms, and will justify all that comes against me.

I don't know what tomorrow holds in these circumstances … but I do know if I shift my eyes I will have the highest regard because I continue to be a hard worker.  I am to be patient with those around me, hold onto good, be joyful always, be thankful continually.  And I am able to do these things if I shift my eyes toward Him and off the circumstances.  I'm God's vessel … those who come against me, are coming against the God who takes residence within me.  And as his word says:  "He is faithful and will do it".

I'm thankful for a job I enjoy.  I am thankful I have a setting that I can change someones day around.  I am thankful I am able to use my spiritual gifts, and even though I don't "preach" to those around me, most see the Jesus within me and treat me with respect.  I am thankful others feel comforted, encouraged, loved and appreciated by me and find me to be a safe place to come to to share their hearts and let me pray over them (even though they don't know that's what I do).  But more importantly I am thankful to a God who sees, who loves, forgives and will use a weak person like me with crappy circumstances and do something even greater to show how perfect and great He is.






No comments: