Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Sunday, March 20, 2022

The Good Shepherd

 “The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice.  He calls his own sheep by name and leds them out.  When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.”

John 10:3-4

We moved to the country not to long ago.  It has been an adventure ever since.  We had plans to fill our 5 acres with animals … to enjoy, not to eat!  We had visions of each animal that would come to be …. only to discover “finding” these animals wasn’t as easy as we thought.  It wasn’t like just go to the humane society and adopt your forever family member!  We kept asking, but couldn’t find the door in.

Until last week!  We heard of a man who was selling his flock of sheep and we knew to act fast.  We reached out and Thursday after Duane got off of work, we ventured out to pick up our newest family members.  I think it took almost two hours before we had caught our sheep … they didn’t want to go, and just wanted to stay in the pen they knew.  We had a good home for them … weeds galore and a pen they didn’t have to share. Mama

and baby were going to a good home.  

I never saw the movie .. but we are thinking of naming these sheep “Thelma and Louise”.  They are feisty and have their own minds.  Mama sheep stomps her front leg to let herself be known that she is going to protect her baby and herself … we are to stay away.  

The past three days we continue to go out in their pen and we visit them throughout the day.  I talk to them and let them know I’m here.  I let them out of their shelter in the morning so they can roam the pasture and make sure they are tucked in at night for their protection.  I fill their water and make sure their alfalfa is plenty.  They are starting to know my voice … yet Mama continues to stomp her foot to let herself know she is in charge. 

have pondered the verse “they will know my voice” as Jesus speaks.  I have always had an image that the sheep are obedient, loving and grateful with a smile on their face.  Yet these past few days has me thinking something else.  It is myhope that these sheep will trust me and will approach me as we call them.  It is my desire to be loved as I continue to pour loving actions toward them.  It is my vision all along we would have a relationship and enjoy each other’s company.  But maybe just maybe they decide they still want their space, and the closeness I have hoped for won’t every be. 

Isn’t that how our Good Father is towards us?  He has the same desire yet waits it out so we learn to trust Him and desire a relationship with Him.  He continues to pour His care and love, provides and feeds - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.  He is my good shepherd.  I long to know His voice and go when I’m called.  And those times I’m a little slow on the calling … I’m reminded how He never left me, never gave up on me, never turned his back on me.  He is my Good Shepherd!

I will continue and shepherd Thelma and Louise.  I will continue and hope that they will warm up to me and come to me.  Until then, I will continue and care, protect and provide for their needs.  I hope they will warm up to me but until that day, I will be with the perfect Good Shepherd as He calls my name. 

No comments: