Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday?

"God himself will provide the lamb..." 
Genesis 22:8

Good Friday.  When Lindsay was about 6 years old, we attended a church that did the Stations of the Cross.  We literally carried a cross, as we thought about the sacrifice years ago.  I explained to Lindsay how Jesus was mocked, beaten and then nailed to a cross on what we call Good Friday.  All of a sudden, in all of her innocence and with much concern she bursted out and asked "Mommy, what's so good about that?"

Yes.  What's so good about that? 

Jesus was ridiculed.  Beaten.  Stripped of any dignity.  Spit at.  Laughed at.  Cursed.  Brutally murdered when innocent.

So what is so good about that?

That mean thought I had for that someone earlier this week.  The harsh tone I gave my husband last night.  The healings our family had experienced.  The freedom, joy and hope that fill my soul.  The slanderous thoughts I have had for the Liberian government.  The judgement I fall into with people I meet.  The curse word that came across my mind.  The anger that can get the best of me.  The meanness I may offer.  The jealousy of the people who have a new car.  Taking life for granted.  Not being thankful when I should.  How I have dishonored my parents.  My unfaithfulness.  And the list goes on.

God took my list to the cross with him.  He thought of me as he endured the thorns on his brow, and the nails in His flesh.  God provided the sacrifice, because He loved me that much.  And that is the good of this Friday.

And the greatness of His goodness, wasn't just for me...but for us all.  One cross.  One Jesus.  One God.  One gloomy day.  For you and for me.

I will be forever grateful! 

No comments: