Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Thursday, November 3, 2011

When Two Worlds Collide

I have to confess that when I received my CASA badge, a whole lot of fear came with it.  There was so much to remember and I was afraid of messing up and forgetting the little details, let alone fear of what the case members were going to think about me.  But I see now that when I received my CASA badge I received some pride right along with it.

Truthfully, I came in thinking I was going to change a life or lives of some children...I never knew what I had coming.

Most of the cases in the social services system are cases with poverty, and truthfully I am dealing with people I wouldn't see in my day to day life.  I wouldn't see them at my church, at my grocery store and the schools and the list goes on.  It is interesting that poverty hangs out with poverty, and middle class hangs out with middle class and so on, and it is sad to say for the most part it is true. 

In November was my youngest child (on my case)'s first birthday.  I scrambled to get a little something for him.  I specifically remember asking myself; "what didn't he get for his birthday, so I don't duplicate it?".  I picked him up an outfit, and a little toy on my way.  I was in such a rush that I didn't do a great job wrapping, but through the items in a bag and called it good. 

I walked into their home, and the boy was sleeping, so I brought the bag over to the great-grandmother and said:  "this is for ____".  I'll never forget that moment, as I was in a moment of panic...wondering if I had the dates right, as she looked at me in bewilderment.  She asked what the gift was for.  I responded, "isn't it ____ birthday?"  And then she remembered - her youngest great-grandchild had had his first birthday the previous week, with no cake or any mention of birthday wishes ... and then proceeded to say "this is his only present". 

You know, if I could relive these moments I would have done things a little better.  I would have wrapped that present with the finest paper and the biggest bow, and perhaps would have brought some cup cakes for everyone to celebrate a little boy who turned one.  But I can't.  I was so humbled and just wanted to cry.  Not because God used me through this, but because I realized how much I take for granted.  I mean truthfully, even in our hardest times we haven't gone without...at least there is credit.  But these people don't have anything to their name, and they make do. 

I am not there to change their world...they are there to change mine.  And this next month, when another child celebrates her birthday, I am going to take a little extra time and make it something special ... because you know what?  They are something special - not only to me, but definitely to God!

2 comments:

Sean and Lisa said...

Such a beautiful reminder of loving as Christ loves. You were His hands and feet to that family that day and I'm sure God is going to use you again and again to bless, encourage and lift up those so desperate for hope and love.
And what a beautiful perspective you have....you aren't there to change their world, they are there to change yours. How true. The "least of these" often teach us more than we could ever teach them!
Thank you for sharing...

Johanna said...

It's amazing how sometimes the little things we do truly are the most special.Thank you for sharing. I am inspired to find more opportunities to show kindness to others.