Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Friday, August 29, 2008

On Your Mark! Get Set! Go!

Lindsay had her first cross-country meet yesterday. I was there rooting her on. Her sisters were in tow as usual, and once again at one of their sister's activities. They weren't too excited - until they saw the race. Then I heard the words "Mommy, wouldn't it be cool if Lindsay came in first?"

My competitive heart wanted to respond "yes!" but then Hebrews 12: 1-2a came over me. "We have around us many people whose lives tell us what faith means. So let us run the race that is before us and never give up. We should remove from our lives anything that would get in the way and the sin that so easily holds us back. Let us look only to Jesus, the One who began our faith and who makes it perfect."

Towards the end of the race Lindsay had that look of pain, and she told me later she was ready to throw-up. Oh, how there are days we feel that way - tired, fighting things that are against us, ready for some air and just wanting to slow down a bit or perhaps even throw in the towel...but as I told the girls it is more important that we finish the race well and never give up.
I am so like Katie and Courtney as I approach my race - not too excited, and thinking of the other fun things I could be doing - but then I see it, hear the cheers of my encouragers, taste the excitement, and it is then I am ready to take my mark at the starting line, to persevere and never give up. And to keep my eyes upon the One who orchestrates it all!

No comments: