Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Friday, September 19, 2008

Welcome to our lives...

I don't know if it is really that apparent or if it is my husband's now new addiction...but he told me I needed to update this blog! I have told him his comments are welcome any time, after all it is the ARCHIBALD'S archives, not Karen's. I will continue to encourage because when he does take the time to write I always enjoy it for I experience wisdom and insight, but until then you are all stuck with me!

We have been praying non-stop for Elijah. We know God is moving things, but we haven't been able to have anything concrete in our hands yet. We are confident he will be home soon. We have received word that it is our agencies goal to have these children home by Christmas, and I appreciate that because it would be hard to go through another Christmas without him, but we are praying non-stop that he'll be home by his birthday. We believe all things are possible with God. But in the midst of all this "when" I believe that God's timing will be perfect and will be revealed to us soon. Until then, please continue to pray with us.

Duane and the girls decided to go out fishing. I decided I was going to have a quiet day at home without having to go anywhere and have some quiet at home to scrap book. Everyone else decided that we needed to have family time and go out together. I can't say that it was the peaceful fishing trip I was imagining. I saw Duane's problem - the girls don't know how to wait out the fish after they cast. They were constantly casting, Duane was constantly putting worms on their hooks, Katie decided to take me for a walk. But in spite of it all I did finish my book!



Lindsay went on a high-school retreat up in the mountains. This is an annual high-school event to bring the kids close together and focus on God's will in their lives. This year during worship God showed up. I have heard how kids broke down, repented and reached out for God. And they heard His call on all their lives that of "purity". Now that they are back at school boys are encouraged to be respectful to the girls and the girls to be kind to the boys. Have I told you lately I am so thankful for Christian Education that backs our parenting up? Lindsay came back on fire, ready to worship and has even more ownership of her school.

Courtney went on her 5th grade leadership retreat, with Duane as a chaperon. They too went into the mountains. Their trip was full of rain...thus mud and mess. But as typical 5th graders it didn't discourage them one bit and they had a blast. As Duane worshipped with these kids he experienced God showing him these kids in the future. It was apparent that God has big plans for these kids.

Duane and I panicked this past weekend...OK, not really! But you'll understand when I tell you Lindsay went to her first school dance! We both decided we weren't ready for this, but we didn't let that stop her. I am sure she had all our "lectures" and "advise" memorized and knew she had our permission to punch any guy that acted inappropriate to her. She went with her friends out to dinner and then to the dance. And just like any high school dance - the girls danced together, and the boys watched!

Katie is off to a sleep over tonight or a sleepless night. We are in the process of planning for her sleep over next Friday for her birthday. Katie is excelling in school and is loving it. She has never shown this passion before, and we are so excited she is experiencing it.

Duane went all out this past weekend for our 16th anniversary and my birthday. I knew he was taking me away but he wouldn't say where. He had everything arranged, and just asked me to arrange for the care of the girls. We drove to Denver, and with luggage in hand we arrived at the Brown's Palace Hotel and I was still wondering where we were going, because we couldn't do something like this! The Brown Palace Hotel was opened in 1892 and has had every president from Teddy Roosevelt staying with them, with the exception of Calvin Coolidge. It was very elaborate of Duane, for it definitely wasn't our traditional way of celebrating. I clarified that this year was so special because we are welcoming a little one, and know that evenings away are going to be far and few between if at all. The highlight of the weekend was when he took me to a gourmet dinner, and the food was just too pretty to eat. We enjoyed, relaxed and celebrated and it is a memory I will treasure forever. Thank you Duane, for making me feel so special and for such a beautiful treat.

Due to some health issues our family was experiencing we are all now gluten free. So the meal at the hotel was even that much more special...for now things are tasting a lot different! I am learning and studying and now having to learn how to cook all over again.

Duane and I are off to our last adoption class tomorrow, and watching another class on the Internet on Sunday. Then we are officially ready in Colorado's eyes to bring an adoptive child into our home. Lindsay is off to Denver on Saturday. She is playing in a big to-do wedding, where the mayor and governor are going to be. The best thing in our eyes she is finally getting paid for her talent! The best thing in her eyes...she gets to eat the food!

No comments: