Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad!

Tomorrow is my dad's birthday.  I wish we were closer so we can spend some time together - laughing and being silly - the things we do best.  I spent some time reminiscing yesterday.

I was brought up as an only child (except in the summers).  Most children have their siblings to get into trouble with.  To wrestle with.  To watch scary movies with.  To laugh with.  And just simply see what lies around the corner with.  Most people have their siblings.  I had my Dad. 

I remember getting in trouble WITH my Dad because we were so loud wrestling on the family room floor.  I remember being at a nice dinner at friends houses, and us having to NOT look at each other knowing we would bust out laughing and get in trouble for it.

I remember my Dad having a routine when he came home of putting his lunch box away in the kitchen closet.  I hid myself in there, and scared him to DEATH when he came home. 

My Mom often thought she had two children.  She reminds me that I grew up and moved out.  He still remains.  What she doesn't say, but is known ... the laughter and joy my Dad brings is treasured.

But out of all my fond memories, at this time of year I remember one above the rest.

The rule at our home was whoever got
tp'd, had to clean it up.  I often had to clean up our yard ...  very often.  My Dad stood and laughed.

Dad's birthday lied around the corner.  Plans were made.  My friends and I took a hundred or so rolls of toilet paper and tp'd my own house.  It wasn't just any ordinary job for any ordinary man ... we had to make it memorable for the man he is.  We wrapped the toilet paper around each rod iron post.  We wrapped the trees.  I shredded the toilet paper to say "Happy Birthday Dad" in the lawn ... and sprinkled it down with water.  (Yes, knowing it would make clean-up even that much harder).  I stayed up way late that night.  You see, my Dad is worth it!

My Dad was extremely surprised.  And even more surprised when I reminded him of the house rule ... and Mom backed me up. 

It was a great birthday present!

So Dad, consider yourself lucky to be living so far away.  I still remember how to tp and I have three girls who would LOVE to learn!  Have a Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

david_hatton said...

Hello! another fantastic blog; im a regular follower of your blogs. beautifully written. hope your dad had a great day

think you might enjoy my blogs, some articles may interest you, feel free to check them out

http://davidhatton1987.blogspot.com/

in the mean time, keep up the good work,

all the way from england,

David Hatton