Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow ...

"This is the day the Lord has made and I WILL rejoice and be glad in it!" 

Our family is sad today.  We have to put our beloved rabbit down.  We just had to do the same thing with our dog four months ago, so the wounds aren't healed quite yet.  Today my heart is full - sorrow for my own loss, sorrow as I watch my children walk through this, and sorrow as I remember.

Daisy was brought into our home to be part of the kindergarten class when Katie's teacher's rabbit died.  Katie missed the classroom pet and had it on her heart to replace hers.  Mrs. Nass was "generous" to ask that we keep him.  This led to carrying Daisy back and forth to kindergarten for two years.

Daisy loved kids.  Loved attention.  Loved vegetables over his "real" food.  Loved banana chips best of all!   He loved to chase Lindsay's cat, which brought much entertainment.

Daisy moved with us from California to Colorado.  We took him out at every rest area to hop around.  He drew a crowd everywhere we went.  Daisy was a great rabbit. 

Today I not only remember everything about this rabbit, but I can't help but remember the last ten years when my girls were younger than they are now.


You see I remember my middle child, 5 years old, with a heart of wonder.  She approached everything wide-eyed and full of excitement.  I remember the excitement of three little girls who were so excited of a rabbit for a pet.  I remember them discovering new things.  I remember our girls learning what responsibilities were.  I remember them learning how to share, yet how to protect at the same time.  I look back when Daisy came into our lives and see girls full of innocence, tenderness and wonder. 

I look to the day that is ahead - a time of sorrow today and adventure for tomorrow, and still see the children they were.  Today I see older children that aren't little anymore, and even taller than me.  I see their hearts that have been wounded by trials and hurts that have come their way.  I see tears running down their faces.  I see memories getting farther away from me ... and yet I stand and can see new beginnings.

So perhaps this day is full of sadness because of the loss we are enduring, as we loved that bunny so.  I look through my own tears, and not only remember a bunny.  But I remember the babies we once had.  I long to just go back and embrace those moments.  I long for time to stand still for just a moment.  

But time doesn't stand still.  It moves on.  Today we will bury our friend, our family member.  They will learn to stand with Jesus more and experience how He will overcome their sadness and whatever other trials that lie ahead.  Today as I kiss their tears away, I will remember the innocence, tenderness and wonder they once held of years ago, and I will kiss the same little girls I held onto ten years ago - just bigger in size, and I will be kissing the memories that are yet to come.     

No comments: