Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Compliments in Africa

"Moo-chung-wua!"(meaning morter) is all I hear running through my head. Today is day three of our build. Again I was skeptical today because 15 people left this morning to see Gulu. But I also was anxious and excited because each day as we build I am reminded "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me", and I was ready to see what He was going to do. I believe God has purposely taken people out more and more just to show me how strong He is, and HE IS!

We are about done after today's work and we all feel we are accomplishing much. Of course, we wouldn't be as far if it weren't for the "locals" (the Ugandan workers). Today I focused on a room where three groups were building their walls up on the scaffolding and it was my job to make sure everyone had plenty of mortar and bricks. It was quite tiring but I found joy in helping. My efforts were recognized by the workers and the locals commented because I was a good servant I was I must be a very good wife and mom. I came all the way across the world, without my husband, without my girls and the job I do and home is recognized! Today I'm more tired, still sore but it all feels good.

I have learned that when an African man approaches and says "You're fat!" it is a compliment. African men believe the bigger a woman, the better. Thankfully, I haven't received this compliment!

Again, the smell is getting to me today - so much pollution and so much burning today.

I forgot to mention yesterday about the thunderstorm we had at the end of the day, which stops all work. As we drove through the city the water just flowed down the paths and roads - the earth is dry so it doesn't absorb. It isn't dry because of lack of rain, but more (I think)because of the walking and driving and working on the streets. But when it rains it almost looks like a flash flood.


I'm still amazed of the traffic. Drivers drive with their horns and there doesn't seem to be any traffic laws. On many roads there are square, deep ditches at least two feel deep. There are only a couple of signals I've seen. You have to be aggressive and go, but usually the bigger vehicle wins. We haven't seen one accident, which is amazing in itself. I have admired the way our driver, Abus drives and how he can turn our bus around with traffic on all four sides of him tightly against us. And he turns it around. Only in Africa! I have learned that Abus has driven for three of Uganda's presidents.


The one thing I have enjoyed today was a new sound I hadn't noticed the past couple of days, or perhaps I thought I was hearing birds. But instead I'm hearing monkeys! They are all over but I haven't seen one yet - just their fun sound.

No comments: