Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Saturday, November 24, 2007

T I A - This Is Africa!

Our Day

I received my first night of great sleep. Some of our team mates awoke early to go rafting down the Nile, and then greeted with a barbecue at the end. Some other team members also left and went four wheeling, and the rest of us had planned to go to the Source of the Nile, see the rapids and do some shopping - at least that was the plan. We have a new phrase -
"T I A" (This Is Africa!), so when we leave later or even earlier (like this morning) as planned or plans have to change we just say "T I A".

We headed to Jinja this morning. You must know that the roads aren't necessarily smooth - we bump up and down in our rattly buss wherever we go, and Jinja was just over a hour away, and we bumped up and down the whole way. At times we had to live with the stuffiness and the heat of the bus for we had to have the windows up due to so much dust on the roads. Uganda has red dirt which is used for brick making but it looks like they are able to use it for plastering as well and is part of their road making. Some of the roads appear paved, but I'm not sure if it is like at home.

We drove through Kampala to Jinja. There is over one million people in Kampala alone which has caused the city to run out of room. Just outside of Kampala on the east side is an area the government is planning to build up and moved people out to. On the road I continue to see all the stores, all the people and see what America would call poverty. And I continue to watch. As I watch I see the culture, the people's livelihood and their homes. I see also that families are always available, no stress of commutes and see that this is the life they know. I see a lifestyle that they live and I don't necessarily see poverty anymore - but rather, the lifestyle of Africa. Yes, I've seen some that are more poverty stricken then others but for the most part this is Africa.

I constantly see people, bikes and motorcycles - there is constant movement. The men and women here are hard laborers. I see many carrying jugs upon their heads, for they don't have running water so they collect it from a well that is shared by all or they go to a nearby creek. Electricity is available if one could afford to have it hooked up, as well as the cost to use it. The average Ugandan makes approximately $1.50 a day, so many do without electricity. I see so many kids - all with smiles, and many busy playing.


We have passed some private schools in our travels. Because the public school is going down hill and teaching isn't acceptable as it used to be many are having to do all they can to send their kids to these schools. Many of the private schools are boarding schools as well. I couldn't help but wonder about those who couldn't afford a good education or even the many orphans who have to do without education, and then I grasped Watoto's goal and purpose even more than before.

We finally reached the Source of the Nile - over a hour drive away. Apparently there is a spring where the water comes in and bubbles up into the Nile. Apparently the Nile is the source of Uganda's electricity and apparently Uganda is having a shortage on electricity because of a recent drought and not enough dams to create enough power. Apparently...and I could have learned more, but Queen Elizabeth, Price Charles and Duchess Camiel are in town for CHOGM (a meeting for all the common wealth countries) and have decided to see the Source of the Nile themselves. So once we arrived and passed through security we had to turn around to leave. So we never got to go on the boat, never got to see the Source.

We then headed to Bucginali Falls and saw the Nile and the beauty within, and apparently also where some of our team mates headed down on their rafting excursion. As I looked at the river I imagined Moses in the basket, and thought it wasn't exactly what I had envisioned. (Yes, this wasn't the area he was in...but it makes me wonder about the river in different parts of the continent.)
I see that when God closes the door for one thing He opens the door for something else. So because the door was closed for us to see the Source of the Nile the door was opened for us to go to another babies orphanage (one that is separate from Watoto but if they have babies that aren't adopted out they go to Watoto's care). We were able to have our lunch their as the babies were napping, but once they awoke we were able to play. The caregivers were getting out a swimming pool since it was such a hot day...oh how the kids were so excited. Kids are kids whatever country you are in...they love to play, love the water and love attention. After our tour, after our playtime with the kids we headed home.
I was thinking many things on our way home. First, I have learned so many things, have heard so many stories - so many that there is just no way to write it all, and of course not in the beauty and fascination of their native tongue that I hear it in. Secondly, I was listening to my praise songs because I needed that time with God and the song that sings "shout to the east and the west, sing to the north and the south" has a whole new meaning to me. Not only because of me being in Uganda, but because of all the countries that are represented in this global team. Thirdly, I see how God loves and cares for the people in Uganda, Africa - so much to bring teams and other missionaries to the country to orchestrate work and change to be done. And fourthly, how I see so many people and forget they are black or I am white until I am reminded by their stares.

We passed through the Mariba forest. A forest the government announced it to be sold to an Asian man who owns much more in Africa. This man wants to tear down the forest to have a tea and/or sugar cane plantation. The Ugandans have fought for the forest, killing three Asians in the process and scaring the other Asians away. Ugandans are still fighting to protect the forest.
I'm noticing it is harder to breathe each day. They burn all their trash and there is so much pollution.

I've also noticed that our team is truly bonding. Some are having some difficulties with personalities or just adjusting to one another's personal habits - but I believe that through our building time we are going to be that much bonded and stronger.

No comments: