Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Africa Full of Tradition

I realized today how I came miles away from home to serve and how I feel it has been everyone else who has served me.

After the babies home we went to Suubi village to have a traditional lunch with one of the families (One mom and eight children). When we got off the bus I was greeted by a boy named Nathan, who impressed me because not only was he friendly but was knowledgeable and a clear leader. We followed him to his home where we met his four brothers (Derrick, David, Anthony, Francis), sister (Christina) and mom (Peruth). Two of his brothers (David and Colline) were on tour with the children's choir. We learned of the kids favorite subjects, favorite pasttimes as they asked us about our countries. Soccer (called Football in Uganda) seems to be the favorite. Nathan's class size is about 42, but he mentioned if he went to school outside the village it would be a class of 200!

The lunch was traditional and surprisingly very good! It concisted of matooke (bananas) with Ebinyeebua (groundnuts), obumonde (Irish potatotes), niholao (chicken), nyama (meat), mucheere (rice), chapatis (like a pita or thick tortilla), greens (vegatables), emanansi (pineapple) and amrazi (water). We enjoyed ourselves tremendously, gave some gfits and then the kids walked us up to the bus.

We went to church tonight. I love it there...church is exciting, and tonight we had the priviledge of sharing communion with new friends and in Africa.

Today was good. I feel blessed and I'm starting to understand what that means. Time God has devoted to teach me, pour more wisdom and love into me to make me that much more complete.

No comments: