Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Thursday, December 6, 2007

A Humbling Day

More good-byes, more tears. It would be easier to be the one leaving instead of constantly saying good-bye. We even had to say good-bye to three of our hosts and a friend of theirs - who as become a friend to us. I have enjoyed all the laughter, all the connections and the times we have been able to share with each other. We have all been able to call this guest house our home, and we have been cared for so much. We have received love and God has been in the center of it all.

We went to the bus once again. Today has impacted me more than any other day. We drove through downtown Kapala where 250,000 people are at the market. People are buying and selling, walking, bicylcing or on "borda bordas" or in cars. Constant movement...yet we couldn't move, because of the disorganization of the street traffic and being there is so many people. We would drive, move about one foot (if we were lucky), then turn the engine off. So many cars, not traffic lights, no directions - a complete zoo!

Once we went through downtown we went to our first slum. We got off the bus and walked - and people stared. We marched through this area, by their "store", by their homes and by their lives - and they stared. Some weren't just staring, some were laughing and some were more likely making cutting remarks. However some did smile and some received our 'hellos' and some extended kindness to us. But what stood out for me is the constant "mzoongoo" (whit person) yelled as the kids pointed. This was the first time I wished I was black so I wouldn't stand out. I haven't noticed color, or perhaps I have - but today I knew for the first time I was the minority, perhaps even a "freak". As we continued to walk, kids continued to yell, and gathered and followed us, and some even thought we were with the Queen. More and more kids followed, all greeting us and happy to shake our hands or give us "high-fives". As I walked one girl actually ran up to me from behind, grabbed my arm and ran away. I htink she thought my color was going to feel different than hers. There was another girl who quietly came along side of me and I was able to reach out and hug her. Then I saw it - I saw how special she felt through the touch of a hug, she felt priviledged and loved.

I hurt for these people. One room homes, some the size of our sheds. They gathered their food, but you knew it took everything they had. One time we followed the path and it took us through the homes and everyone was doing their cooking outside. I felt as an intruder, invading their privacy and walking right into their homes without an invitation. I asked Bonnie (our host) where they get their drinking water? They now have four spickets where they line up to fill their jugs, but before they'd get it wherever they could. The water I saw in the canal was dirty - full of trash, not flowing and who knows what other waste lied in it. They could and would drink it. They were used to it so they wouldn't be sick from it as you and I would. And then I realized..."Have we even taken water for granted?"

We proceeded back to the bus. We went to Bonnie's house - his two room house. A home he was so proud of! After hearing his testimony (posted next) it is understod why. And then I realized "shouldn't I be like Bonnie too? Proud of what I have and not always looking for more?"

We went to another slum. Weathered faces, strong faces, bitter and tired faces, and smiling faces all greeted us. Kids were calling out to the "Mzungoos", some laughing but mostly hesitantion was their reaction. We only had a few follow us. But my heart remained heavy just the same.

I had been praying to become closer to God throughout this whole trip, to have open ears to hear Him. And I wonder if God was speaking through these people. God loves these people just like you, just like me. What can we do to help? How can we be instruments for God? It isn't a situation where they are lazy, but these are hard-working people willing to do whatever they can to survive.
We went to KPC - North, had our lunch. But how could I eat with the poverty I had just seen?

The youth at the church welcomed us and presented us with a couple of dances. They go to school and then find their afternoons and any spare time at the church. Many people find Christians aren't fun nor full of life, but it is through Christ and His church these kids find life is full!

Today was a humbling day.

No comments: