Archibald Family

Archibald Family

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Who Improves Who?

Today was a full driving day - nothing else. But a time for me to be finally alone with God. A time to praise Him and thank Him.
Having so many countries represented here I can't help but know that God loves all His children. And all our countries need to repent of our selfish ways, turn to Jesus and let Him have His countries once again.
I have been watching the life here through the Ugandans. I know I was sent thinking that we could come and help Uganda, help them improve their ways and perhaps even make them more successful. I notice that Uganda has a lot of disorganization and from what I hear isn't totally unified, but I haven't heard one complaint. There are so many people. I see them going to collect the water down the road, carrying anything on their heads - fruit, pots of potatoes, tree branches - anything. They aren't complaining that their back hurts - or their head. They aren't whining to go to a chiropractor or even for an aspirin. A matter-of-fact I see that these people are strong and have perfect posture. They walk, bike or use the "borda borda" and don't complain that they don't have a car. I see that people are constantly working, never complaining that they have to go but thankful that they have the work. We drive through different sections of the city and even other cities and people are always waving at us. Yes, some are asking for handouts and some are staring at all these white people, but for the most part everyone has been so welcoming, either with their waves, smiles or their invitations into their homes. And then as I ponder all this I can't help but wonder is it us that needs to come in and "improve" them and their ways or rather allow their lifestyles to lead us to change our ways?

And as I thought about Watoto I can't help but recognize how they are getting it right. Watoto isn't seeing parent to adopt all these children, nor sending them to other countries in the process but instead taking responsibility of their country's need and educating them to be strong, healthy leaders; thus improving Uganda. Through education and especially through Christ they are changing Uganda - through one child at a time.

We did have an interesting moment on our travel back to Kampala when we stopped to take a potty break at a school. Being that this was a village far away from Kampala, English isn't spoken and it was obvious they had never seen a white person before. The kids gathered around the side of the bus and was mesmerized, interested (now I know what the animals in cages feel like!). One of our teammates steeped out of the bus to greet the children, they were hesitant and nervous but interested and curious. She extended her hand to get them to give her a "five", but the were confused and didn't know what she was doing. And then one child came up and put his hand in hers, and the others followed. Most wanted to see if white felt different than black. I always forget about color until moments like these. But I am thankful that God created color, and how He doesn't treat anyone of us different because of it!

No comments: